WHY SOCIAL WORK?
Voting = A Human Right
Voting = Self-Determination and Power
By supporting people to vote, social workers:
Improve individual well-being (micro),
Strengthen organizations and communities ( mezzo)
Influence government decision making
Secure social policies that promote social justice( macro)
Overcome voter suppression
The National Social Work Voter Mobilization Campaign is Integrating Voter Engagement into Social Work Education
Field is the interface between schools and agencies;
Field has access to thousands of micro and macro students and faculty; and
Serves millions of highly under-represented clients and communities.
Resources to get you started
Schools of Social Work and Field Education
Below are some helpful resources to get you started. See the our Research page for suggested research, news articles, books and digital materials on voting and voter turnout.
- Webinar: National Social Work Voter Mobilization Introduction
- Fact Sheet: Social Work Education’s Role in Voter Turnout
- Fact Sheet: Agencies Role in Voter Turnout
- Download our Voting is Social Work presentation for your class, field instructor training and/or professional development workshop.
- Field directors and faculty can use this Sample letter to Field Agencies to share your school's voter engagement initiative.
- Know Your Elected Officials: Use this worksheet to find your local, state and federal representatives.
- Nonpartisan voter engagement is legal, ethical and professional. Know the facts: Nonprofit Vote’s 501(c)(3) Fact Sheet.
- Build students' confidence and political efficacy: Sample assignments for class and field education. Students can also complete the Voting in your state worksheet to learn more about the rules and deadlines that apply.
- Twenty Ways to Make Voting Matter! Twenty examples students provided from an urban school of social work for a policy assignment about their agencies' practices related to voter engagement.
Social Service Agencies and Community Organizations
Nonpartisan voter registration, education and outreach is legal, ethical and professional! Agencies and organizations can support clients, staff and communities to vote by giving people the information and encouragement they need to be informed voters.
- Share our fact sheet:Agencies Role in Voter Turnout
- Download our Voting is Social Work presentation and train staff and colleagues on why voting matters to your mission and impact.
- Nonpartisan voter engagement is legal, ethical and professional. Know the facts: Nonprofit Vote’s 501(c)(3) Fact Sheet
- Remind people to vote! Connect clients and colleagues to TURBOVOTE.org to receive text messages and reminders to vote before elections.
- Help people look up their registration status (very important in highly mobile communities. Vote.org has a voter registration look up tool and links to your state's rules.
- Know the rules in your state on voting with a felony conviction. NonprofitVote.org and Sentencingproject.org
Additional Resources shared with the Campaign
If you have resources that could contribute to the Campaign, please contact us at email@example.com